Monday, September 17, 2007

The Elephant in the Room

The Elephant in the Room (At What Price, Part 3)

There is a history in this county, that impacts the culture and the way things are perceived to be. Like it or not, that history has something, I'm not sure exactly what, to do with the Landfill. As I've looked at various actions currently, I think it looks like not only the past, but a lot of the present and the future, also have something to do with the landfill. Why? Because the landfill has in the past, and seems to be continuing in the present and the future, to be using up a considerable number of our tax dollars. I don't exactly know why yet.

I'm not talking about the 11 cents on the dollar, oh, yeah, it costs money to get rid of trash, type numbers. I'm not talking about the $400,000 a year in operating expenses plus the $600,000 a year in debt service plus the couple of million here and there that gets classified as new investment to open up new cells.
I don't actually know what I'm talking about yet. I'm still looking to find out.

Maybe someone reading this knows, and will tell me. Gary Gibbs suggested that I go get the court documents from June 2005. I'm doing that. It's in process. I've also been offered a copy of the actual contract buyout documents. But right now, I'm not quite sure what's going on. I'm just uncomfortable that the numbers and the documents I'm seeing don't have all their pieces yet.

Someone else suggested that I go back through the Board of Supervisors meetings from that time period. That would be the time period before electronic records were kept, so it would be quite difficult. Plus the meetings were closed. Perhaps someone out there would like to tell me where to look.

You see, here's what has me uncomfortable. I'm meeting the people who were around a long time, and I'm not meeting any Bad Guys. I read that Ed Kieloch book, but it didn't ring true to me. It didn't seem to present a rounded picture of what was happening, or present motivations, or describe the complexity, of how what looks like a bunch of normal and well intentioned people could have gotten into such a mess. It painted everybody as a Bad Guy, and then I met them, one by one, and they just didn't have any horns. People have flaws. They respond oddly under pressure. And they make mistakes. You can’t elect anybody to do anything, without later finding out they’re not perfect. Human beings are imperfect. Once in a while, one of them lashes out and tells the people not to touch the pastries, but things like that are just human mistakes, not actual character flaws.

It would seem like we could say, “It’s time to forget it and move on.” I would agree, but there are three reasons why we can’t.

First, we can’t forget it because we have the same names running for office or sitting in office that we had at various times during the landfill issue. Raymond Kite. Charlie Hoke. Carol Lee Strickler. Gerald Cubbage. Allen Cubbage. C R Suddith. Ron Wilson. Charlie Campbell. And more. These names appear in the past, the present, and in hopes for the future. If we don’t know what happened before, how will we prevent it from happening again?

Second, we can’t forget it because it hasn’t been fixed. That’s the part we need the contract documents to untangle. It seems it got somewhat fixed, sort of. But you can’t turn your head and look away yet. It’s not gone.

And then there’s a third reason we can’t forget it. The third reason is: you can’t forget what you never knew. People get impressions, perceptions, misunderstandings, half-truths, and just plain wrong information. It gets in their heads. And if nobody challenges it, it rots there, where it becomes a memory of something that never happened. This mistaken memory sits there where it calls and recalls emotion, which eventually triggers rage, frustration, and a sense of powerlessness. It is not empowering to fail to know. It is empowering to know. If we don’t know something, but we think we know it, that is the worst of all worlds.

Right now, in this beautiful county, full of wonderful people, we have a culture that promotes “lack of empowerment”. Because too many people think they know something that never happened. It creates a Boogeyman. It encourages fearfulness. It incubates apathy. It creates a populace that is willing to roll over and play dead. It reminds me of that old saying, “Nobody can be your boss without your permission.” The citizens are the boss of the Board of Supervisors. It’s not the other way around. A long term resident told me once, “There’s no point going in and talking to them (the Board). They just let you talk a while, and then they go do what they want to do anyway.”

Sarah, this man who said that to me was not talking about Allen Cubbage. It doesn’t matter which Board it is, or who the Chairman is. These aren’t professional politicians. They sometimes seem to the citizens to be arrogant baboons, and that is more than likely to happen, no matter who gets the job, once in a while. We just hope that the people who are elected have an intention to be kind, an intention to be responsive, and an intention to respond to the people. Even if they do, there will always be a time or two, under pressure, when it won’t look that way.

So here’s what I think.

I think we have to go back and correct the record on this landfill thing. I think we can’t let the Ed Kieloch book sit out there as the only recorded history of it, with the Karen Kwiatkowsky article as the entry point to Page County that comes up every time a tourist wants to rent a cabin. I think we can’t do well at marketing the county for business and tourism when it looks like people can expect to meet Boss Hogg and Cooter on Main Street.

I’m not talking about writing any books. I’m talking about getting the minutes of the Board meetings during the right period, getting the contract documents, and the court documents, and getting it clear and straight who did what to whom when. Summarizing it. And posting it on the Internet.

I think that’s the only way we’ll know.

Perhaps many people will say we don’t need to know, that it’s a dead horse. But I say . . . it’s a dead Elephant. And its carcass is rotting in the living room, while we all turn our eyes and our focus away from the current landfill issue, and bleed our property taxes onto the living room carpet.

So, whomever would like to help me find out . . . email Research@PageCountyWatch.org or post your clues for where to look right here.

And whomever thinks this isn’t important, just go Blog under a different post.

Alice

6 comments:

Page County Watch said...

Folks, it turns out the minutes of the Board meetings are available for anyone to see, all the way back to 1979.

I'm going to go look. I'll tell you what I see.

Alice

Anonymous said...

Chris says Alice why don't you have links to the candidates web pages? At least the ones who have web pages.

Page County Watch said...

Chris, I've been meaning to get the special elections site up, and I just didn't do it yet.

I just went to the main site and put in a link to Grayson's website, under the topic Elections, and I know Wayne and J D have sites, but I don't see the addresses conveniently available. They don't come up on searches, so I need people to email me the addresses. If they come in email, I can post the links.

What happens to me is that when people talk to me and I take notes, over time I lose the notes before I get a chance to get them transcribed into the computer. I need everything on the Internet and the computer, or it gets to be overwhelming for me to deal with it.

I made a special elections website, and set it up, but then the radio show came along and distracted me, so I didn't get the information posted yet.

If anyone would email me the URLs to candidate websites, at Research@PageCountyWatch.org, I can link them on the main site.

Also, I have not yet collected all the candidate information for the sites. I still need Wayne Petefish, Pete Monteleone, and Ron Wilson. If anyone knows these candidates, please ask them to email me information for their web page. I just need some background on them and a "vision statement" and a digital picture if available.

Anonymous said...

Wayne Petefish's site is www.waynepetefish4sheriff.com

Anonymous said...

Chris says I think Pete's web site is www.petemonteleone4sheriff.com

Page County Watch said...

If you listened to the Speak Out show on Sept 14 with Gerald Cubbage, you heard me go through a history of the landfill, which I developed from reading sections of Board meetings. I will post my notes from that research on the main site under the heading topic Landfill.