Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Schools and Money

Topic 5: School Construction and Carryover Funding – Aug 7 Work Session
These are my notes, the notes of one citizen who attended. They are not minutes of the meeting. I post them here, because if you wait for the official minutes to come out, it will be October, and then if there were anything discussed that you wanted to take action about, it will be too late. If anyone was there and had a different take on what happened, just hit the Comments button and add your two cents.

Dr. Thomas reported that the school construction has begun on both high schools. All is well. Everything is on budget.

This is the part I didn’t follow very well. Furniture for the new schools wasn’t included in the operating budget? I might be wrong about that, I couldn’t follow it. There was a grant given, but they didn’t spend it all, and the fiscal year ended in June, so they were giving it back to the county, but they wanted to make sure the county didn’t spend it on something else, like they did the last time this happened.

So the School Board was asking the county to put their leftover grant money aside so it can be used for the purpose it was intended, but just not this year. And they wanted to make sure this money didn’t get “disappeared” into some other category.

That’s what I understood from what I heard, but I was confused.

Alice

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the School Board and its leadership is a joke..no money for furniture? how about not a dime either for road construction or improvements as well! Sad...

I think Dr. Thomas was quoted a few weeks ago in the PNC as saying "I think it is a all go now on the new school"...(or something to that effect...

Impressvie...a crook as a sheriff, a appliance salesman as a Clerk, and a bunch on idiots and do-nothigns in the School Board...

I can't say you don't deserve it Page County...

Anonymous said...

THE SUPT. IS RIGHT. IF THE MONEY IS CARRIED OVER WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNING BODY TO GIVE IT BACK THE FOLLOWING YEAR THEN IT WOULD BECOME A NEW "APPRORIATION". IT IS A NECESSARY BOOK KEEPING EXERCISE. WITHOUT THEIR (THE BD OF SUPS)PRIOR CONCURRENCE/AGREEMENT IT WILL PROBABLY END UP IN THE DUMPSTER FUND.

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that neither the schoolboard or the supervisors care about the safety of our children they keep saying next year we need the resource officers now . they also have a secretary in one of the elemantary schools that lots of people have complained about she is rude to the parents and children and the teachers she will leave you standing waiting for along time when parents come in to pick up their children and they haven't done any thing about her I WANDER WHO SHE HAS IN HER BACK POCKET I think you parents know who I am talking about it;s time parents let the schoolboard know it's time to fix the problem.

Anonymous said...

I agree it is time that the schoolboard did something about this secretary I have had problens with her.I have gone in there to pick up my children and she did't even look up for along time to see what I needed.I have heard her get rough with A child and I have complained but I didn't get any help from mr thomas it's time he did something about the problem.